Hello Santiago STEAM Magnet Families,
It’s Fall, and now that we’re all getting into the swing of school, the PTA has begun hosting programs to increase community and reduce feelings of isolation amongst our students, schools and families. We’ve expanded and updated a lot of our website to include family resources, PTA programs, tools for hybrid and distance learning, and school updates. Please take a moment to click through the different areas of the site to see if you can find information or events that would be helpful to your family. Below are a few sections that I would like to highlight. Following that, I’ve added the PTA To-Do List, and I hope you check that out too.
If you’re visiting the site for the first time, I’d like to welcome to the school and to the Santiago STEAM Magnet PTA. I hope you come to one of our meetings or join a committee. If you’re shy and you don’t know where to start, then send me a message. I’m sure I can think of a way for you to help so that you can get involved. Volunteerism and activism from our community is what makes our PTA so strong.
Thank you for your interest, involvement and support of the Santiago STEAM Magnet PTA.
Liz Gibson – President
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to get better. It’s not.” – The Lorax by Dr. Seuss
- Spirit Buttons: This year, whenever a student participates in certain PTA programs, they receive a School Spirit Participation Button. It costs nothing, and is really fun to collect them all. We hope that students realize that it doesn’t matter if they win a contest or are the top fundraiser for the school. Participating, being brave, trying something new, or joining the Santiago team is our main goal. If you’re a student at Santiago STEAM Magnet, then you’re a part of our community, and we want you to join in!
- Scarecrows for STEAM Contest deadline is October 25th. Any student is welcome to enter. We will have 3 categories and 3 prizes. Grade level entries can be any artistic interpretation of a scarecrow they want, but all entries must be the sole work of the student. The Best Traditional Scarecrow can be, and is encouraged, to be made with the help of friends and family. Voting will take place the week after the deadline. This contest has ended. We look forward to more participation next year.
- Red Ribbon Week is meant to bring drug awareness to our campus. Both hybrid and distance learners are encouraged to dress up each day of Red Ribbon Week in the style of the daily theme. This program ended. Those who let us know they participated will receive a Spirit Button.
- Raise Craze is our fall fundraiser in the form of a Kindness Challenge. Our kids are learning to promote kindness and empathy by paying it forward. Students will each have their own profile on the website where they will update friends and family on the different acts of kindness they complete. As they complete different tasks and raise money for the school’s PTA, they’ll have opportunities to pick up prizes along the way. Please support our kids by donating while they continue their journey of kindness. More information can be found HERE.
- Virtual Field Trips and Demonstrations is a fabulous new program that we’re just getting up and running. We’re looking for local businesses that want to take us on a behind the scenes tour of their facility to inspire our students to explore jobs in STEAM fields. Students will then be encouraged to respond to these videos with inspiration. Maybe they’ll draw a picture, write a poem or short story, or maybe they’ll invent something that goes along with the demonstration they saw. Whatever they come up with, we want our students to think about what happens next. You can find the current field trip HERE.
- Yearbook Art Cover Art Contest deadline December 2nd
Family Resources and Wellness:
- Check In Tuesdays offers parenting tips to help families through this unique and stressful time
- National Helplines if you need to connect to someone safe
- Information on keeping your children safe and healthy
Distance Education and Supporting Families:
- National Heritage months and ways to learn more
- Local Library information
- Tips for hybrid and distance learning
Here is your Back-to-School To Do List from PTA:
Bookmark this website SantiagoPTA.com – to keep up to date with our community
Follow or “Like” the Santiago STEAM Magnet PTA Facebook Page
Join the Parent’s Only Private Facebook Group for your student’s grade level (Moderators may ask you to provide evidence of your enrollment)