Calling all Dad’s Club members —
We need handy dads, grandpas, uncles, guardians, neighbors, people with toolboxes, etc. to help us build outdoor learning spaces. Our first project is tire seats. There is no deadline, but the sooner we can get some for the school, the better. We encourage all dad’s club members to include their kids in the building process to teach them a little something about engineering, collaborating as a team and accomplishing goals. If you would like to submit pictures of dad’s club members and kids working together for the website and/or 2020-2021 yearbook, please email them to info@SantiagoPTA.com.
Please make an appointment with the front office before dropping off completed chairs.
All tire seats should be spray painted, and have drainage holes drilled into the bottom so water won’t collect inside the tires to attract pesky mosquitos. If you want to be a superstar, you can paint the interior of the tire white. It has been said to reduce the chance of dangerous spiders, but not proven. Couldn’t hurt if you have an old can sitting around. Below you can find a video tutorial as well as a link to a step by step tutorial.
Picture tutorial by a Santiago STEAM Dad: https://santiagopta.com/2021/01/04/dads-club-tire-seat-picture-tutorial/
Tutorial with Pictures: https://diyways.com/how-to-make-a-diy-tire-seat/
- 2 Old tires. Tire repair shops are happy to donate them for free. We found that truck tires hold the paint better.
- 2 Cans of spray paint with primer.
- Four 1/2 in. x 1.5 in. bolts and corresponding washer and nuts.
- Drill with wide drill bit.
- About 40 feet just to be safe. We used 3/8 in. rope.
- Soap, water, kid(s) to help.
- Follow one of the tutorials above.
More requests for outdoor learning spaces coming soon. If you are a woodworker and would like to build an outdoor bench, that would also be amazing! Please email president@SantiagoPTA.com to let us know you’re building one for the school.
If you would like to find out more information about Dad’s Club, become an official member and get updates on ongoing projects, please sign up here: https://santiagopta.com/2020/08/11/learn-more-about-dads-club/
We would like as many families to participate in this project as possible. So please don’t let cost be a factor. You may use the cost of materials as a tax donation, or you can be reimbursed by following these steps:
- Email us at info@SantiagoPTA.com and let us know how many seats you are building.
- Pickup free used tires from a tire repair shop, and purchase materials to put seats together.
- Follow the step by step tutorial remembering to add drainage holes.
- Make an appointment with the front office to drop of tire chair. Drop off chair.
- Collect all receipts (to add up to no more than $25) and submit them with a reimbursement form found here. http://downloads.capta.org/toolkit/forms/PaymentAuthorizationRequestforReimbursement.pdf
Thank you everyone for your support of the school, students and PTA!