Hello Santiago STEAM Magnet Families,
Welcome to Spring!
We are in the final stretch of the school year, and everyone has been doing such a great job. We can do this! Together, we have completed ⅔ of the pandemic school year (a complete year for those of us with kids above kindergarten), in what will hopefully be remembered as a challenging year, but one we all grew from.
Moving into this final stretch, we really want families to focus on what they went though this year. The pandemic has taken its toll on everyone in more ways than one, and it’s important for both adults and children to honor their experiences. This spring the PTA is sponsoring the STEAM Rises Up Contest. This contest celebrates our journey over the past year. It gives families the encouragement to check in with their kids, and for kids to feel empowered by something good that came out of this past year. We want to know how your kids persevered.
At the heart of this contest, we’re looping back to our PTA’s initiative to reduce isolation by increasing community involvement. By communicating with loved ones and then participating in a schoolwide contest, your kids will get validation from the adults in their lives, and also gain the comradery of being a part of a community who all went through the same tough year. The STEAM Rises Up Contest will run from March 15th to April 19th. You can find more information about incentives just for entering the contest, prizes and recognitions here: https://santiagopta.com/2021/03/01/steam-rises-up-contest/
In addition we still have more PTA programs and events coming up. Staff appreciation Day is May 3rd-7th. We have restaurant nights on March 23rd at Panda Express, April 22nd at Wahoo’s, and May 19th at Raising Cane’s. Not to mention a few things happening over the summer and programs that will start almost immediately in the 2021-2022 school year. So make sure you’re subscribed to our social media pages and have SantiagoPTA.com bookmarked to get the latest information.
If you haven’t been to our website before, or this is your first time back in a while, WELCOME. We’ve expanded and updated a lot of our website to include family resources, PTA programs, tools for hybrid and distance learning, and school updates. Please take a moment to click through the different areas of the site to see if you can find information or events that would be helpful to your family. Below are a few sections that I would like to highlight. Following that, I’ve added the PTA To-Do List, and I hope you check that out too.
Thank you for your interest, involvement and support of the Santiago STEAM Magnet PTA.
Liz Gibson – President
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to get better. It’s not.” – The Lorax by Dr. Seuss
- Spirit Buttons: This year, whenever a student participates in certain PTA programs, they receive a School Spirit Participation Button. It costs nothing to students, and is really fun to collect them all. We hope that students realize that it doesn’t matter if they win a contest or are the top fundraiser for the school. Participating, being brave, trying something new, or joining the Santiago team is our main goal. If you’re a student at Santiago STEAM Magnet, then you’re a part of our community, and we want you to join in!
- Virtual Field Trips and Demonstrations is a fabulous new program that we’re just getting up and running. We’re looking for local businesses that want to take us on a behind the scenes tour of their facility to inspire our students to explore jobs in STEAM fields. Students will then be encouraged to respond to these videos with inspiration. Maybe they’ll draw a picture, write a poem or short story, or maybe they’ll invent something that goes along with the demonstration they saw. Whatever they come up with, we want our students to think about what happens next. You can find the current field trip HERE. I also recently added two additional field trips that aren’t local, but they’re fun. Slime in Space and Front Street Animal Shelter. Feel free to watch them alongside your kiddos. Those who submit responses to field trips will receive a Virtual Field Trip & Demonstrations spirit button at the end of the year. You can find all the virtual field trips here: https://santiagopta.com/
- Dad’s Club is a chance to help the school and the PTA if you’re not quite sure how to get involved. Basically we task them with projects that Dad’s are stereotypically more likely to get into. Helping to build things for the school. Setup and clean up for events. Etc. We are fully inclusive. So you don’t need to be male or a dad. You can be a neighbor, grandparent, sibling, etc., but we do want to model that men care just as much as women when it comes to education, participation and being part of the community. The first Dad’s Club project has been posted. We’re building tire seats to use for outdoor learning environments. You can find a DIY video, and picture tutorials, including one from my family through this link. https://santiagopta.com/
2020/12/15/dads-club-project-If you have more ideas for Dad’s Club, and would like to be more involved, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org tire-seat/
- STEAM Rises Up Contest runs from March 15th to April 19th. Students will be challenged to create STEAM inspired entries that showcase how they rose up to the challenges this year and persevered. It’s been a rough year. What will your student enter to show with a STEAM education, we rise up to challenges? https://santiagopta.com/2021/03/01/steam-rises-up-contest/
- Staff Appreciation Week is May 3rd through May 7th. We will be having a theme each day to celebrate how crazy appreciative we are for our teachers and staff. Please come check visit SantiagoPTA.com in late April to get the most up to date information. We ask that if you plan to gift your teacher or a staff member, that you give them e-gifts to reduce contact and traffic at the school. If you do decide to buy gift cards, we would appreciate you buying them through the Benefit Mobile App and registering the Santiago Elementary PTA. We get a small donation based on gift card purchases through the app.
Sixth Grade Parents or Advocates:
- If you are a 6th grade parent or advocate, I encourage you to form a 6th Grade Committee to plan and execute something special to celebrate the end of the year, and to send your kids onto the next chapter of their lives. It’s up to you to raise your own funds and plan something memorable, but the PTA is here to help. We’re happy to help promote your fundraisers, put out information via our social media and website, or help in other ways. Please let us know how.
Family Resources and Wellness:
- Check In Tuesdays offers parenting tips to help families through this unique and stressful time
- National Helplines if you need to connect to someone safe
- Information on keeping your children safe and healthy
- Helping Kids Deal with Violence and Disasters includes many links to ways to talk to your kids about difficult topics.
Distance Education and Supporting Families:
- Local Library information
- Tips for hybrid and distance learning
- Every Kid outdoors offers free entrance to National Parks for 4th graders and their family
Here is your Back-to-School To Do List from PTA:
Bookmark this website SantiagoPTA.com – to keep up to date with our community
Follow or “Like” the Santiago STEAM Magnet PTA Facebook Page
Join the Parent’s Only Private Facebook Group for your student’s grade level (Moderators may ask you to provide evidence of your enrollment)