Sponsored by the Irvine Ranch Water District
Create a poster that shows how to use water wisely at home or school. Or show how saving water can help the environment. You could become a published artist!
This year’s theme, “Water is Life,” relates to the stewardship and conservation of water. This means wise and efficient water use inside and outside of the home, at school, in the community, and in recreation. Climate change is already stressing Southern California’s water supplies. Every watershed the Southland depends on, from the Colorado River to the Sierra Nevada to our own groundwater basins, is becoming less reliable. The future requires that we all use water wisely. This theme of water efficiency and stewardship should be reflected in the artwork.
Optional hot topics
- Saving water
- Planting a water-efficient garden
- Water supply reliability
- Nature and water
- Recycled water
Poster contest rules
- Open to students in grades K-12
- Use 12” x 18” or 8.5″ x 11″ in size white paper.
- Artwork drawn on 12” X 18” paper must have AT LEAST a one-inch white or blank border on all four sides. This is a graphics and framing requirement.
- Crayons, markers, ink, poster paint, pastels, chalk, water color or cut paper fabric may be used
- HORIZONTAL format only!
- Include a brief water message, with as little writing as possible
- Original artwork only – no copyrighted material (Mickey Mouse, Spongebob, etc)
- Do not put student’s name on front of poster
- Poster must be the hands-on work of only the student
- Poster must have an entry form with student’s information and signed parental release
- All posters become the property of IRWD/MWDOC/MWD and may be displayed or reproduced
- Follow all formatting directions – failure to do so will disqualify the entry
Posters must be submitted by Sunday, Feb. 13, 2022.
Winning posters will be submitted to regional competitions sponsored by the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California and Municipal Water District of Orange County.
Enter for a chance to win a meet and greet with a scientist/water efficiency team member, iPad or featured in a water awareness calendar!
Irvine Ranch Water District Public Affairs: 15600 Sand Canyon Ave., Irvine, CA 92618 (Table outside office is available during business hours for drop off 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.)
Irvine Unified School District: 5050 Barranca Parkway, Irvine, CA 92604
Newport Coast Elementary School: 6655 Ridge Park Rd., Newport Coast, CA 92657
Tustin Unified School District: 300 South C St., Tustin, CA 92780
Entries can be mailed to 15600 Sand Canyon Ave., Irvine, CA 92618 with “ATTN: 2022 POSTER CONTEST.”
Posters are selected based upon four scoring criteria (four scoring elements will be part of the judges’ scores):
1. Selection criteria as listed in poster contest rules and entry form
2. Degree to which poster addresses the water conservation theme
3. Level of originality (e.g. uniqueness, creativity) and degree of visual and word clarity (e.g. the use of color, art media and/or text)
Irvine Ranch Water District Public Affairs office