Santiago STEAM Magnet PTA and Saddleback Valley PTA are working together to bridge the gap for inclusion of all students in School and PTA programs and activities.
We’re looking for a PTA Special Education Liaison. This is a new position, but important. This person will continue to advocate for inclusion and make sure all of our programs give all students equal access, and help promote awareness. They will attend meetings and consult with the district PTA liaison, and generally help our PTA become more inclusive, and our families better educated on invisible disabilities.
A description is below. If you’re interested in filling this position, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
PTA Special Education Liaison:
- Helps promote inclusion in all PTA Programs (fundraisers, fun activities, Reflections, class field trips, etc.)
- Coordinates an annual Ability Awareness Campaign (a day, 3 days or a week) to help kids understand how to apply inclusion in a practical way on a daily basis.
- Get’s ASB or Student Council involved in inclusion (lunch buddies, school dances, etc.)
- Their name should be listed as a parent mentor/contact at the school should another parent want to inquire about resources or getting involved.
- Posts on school PTA social media page and website as well as have a spot on school newsletter in regards to upcoming school events and how they are accommodating those with special needs as well as inclusion updates (or whatever else they feel is relevant)
- Booth at Back to School nights for parents to inquire about programs surrounded by inclusion and resources.
- Work with SPED teachers on campus and Library to make sure there are appropriate adaptive books onsite for kids to read.
- Be a part of the SVPTA SPED committee to share ideas, give feedback, etc.